Friday, 10 February 2017

Magazine Front Cover 2 : NME 2010

This is my second front cover analysis and it is of the NME with the main focus being Oasis.

Colour scheme
This front cover seems to share the same colour scheme as the last one I did an analysis on which is a tri-colour scheme. Incidentally, the last post was another NME magazine and the colour scheme of white,black and red was repeated. However on this cover the colour red has less emphasis as it did because its more frequent use on it. Liam Gallagher is wearing the same colour red as the text where as Noel Gallagher is wearing black. This tri-colour affect does not have the same influence because as there is more content on the front page, therefore the three colour have used more and could say have been over used.
I do like the use of the tri-colour scheme but it has a more significant affect when there is less on the page and the third colour has more impact up against the white and black. From this cover I do like the black text on white background and vice versa.
Image
The image is of the Gallagher brothers who formally associated themselves with Oasis before their split. Liam is wearing bright red and Noel is wearing black. This contrast in colour so the difference between the two brothers and therefore backing up the breaking up of the band. From the tone of skin I can infer that these are two different photographs, this therefore emphasises the scale of the bust up that they will not be photographed together never mind in a band.
The contrasting colours do have an appeal and  shows the difference without have significant text saying so. So if I was to show difference I would try to do it by what my models are wearing instead of having the text say so.
Text
Pretty much all of the text is in block capitals letters to show the importance of what is being said. The black and red text is on a white background whereas the white writing is on the black background. This emphasises what the text says by having a background that makes it stand out. The three colours are also the three main colours on the magazine.
I like the idea of having a lot of the text in capitals to show it's importance, but however I would have more in lower case as not everything is as important as everything.
Layout
The cover has either Gallagher brother standing either side of the cover showing the literal divide between the two brothers. The difference in coloured clothing also shows this divide between them. The text is positioned between the images and even goes behind the images at points which shows they are the main focus.
I like the overlapping images on top of the photos or the other way round to emphasise the test or the image dependant on what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment