
This front cover is the first that I will analyse for my Media Studies coursework. I will use these covers to identify the common codes and convention in the media today relating to front covers, in order to have a better idea of how to structure my own. This NME magazine has Alex Turner on, lead singer from the Arctic Monkeys.
Colour scheme
The colour scheme for this cover is black, red and white which is commonly associated with dominant male figures and from what I can infer from my current and recent studying of front covers. The 3 coloured colour scheme emphasises the importance of the text and reminiscent of old tabloid newspapers which printed in white, black and red. All of the text is in red so this shows the most important bits are in red, including the name of the magazine.
I would consider the incorporation of such a colour scheme to create such an impact upon the readers. It also defines the main aspects of the magazine, I feel this works very well especially with the colour scheme or white, black and red.
Image
The image on the front cover is a close up of Alex Turner's head. The main image of his head is behind and also in front of some bits of text. This gives the impression that the photo of him is important but share the same importance as the text. Also the pointed hand links to the famous World War One poster of Lord Kitchener which give a different element to the cover. The shot of Alex Turner must be a close up to almost try and replicate the image of Lord Kitchener to give the added affect that goes with it, this to make more noticeable.
For my front cover I may include the overlapping of the main image and text if both had the same importance and created the same affect on the cover, also if one was not predominately more significant than the other.
Text
The text 'Rock 'N' Roll Needs You' is again a play on words from the Lord Kitchener WW1 poster where it was 'Your Country Needs You'. This again links to the image of Alex Turner's famous acceptance speech at the 2014 Brit Awards Ceremony. The font is block writing and it matches the title of the magazine. The font used is Sans-serif which is basically letters without flourishes, this gives the effect of it being more informal.
I think for my main text on my front cover and the title of the magazine I might not use a serif type font and too demonstrate the importance of the main focus and news. However saying this I would most defiantly like too use serif type fonts in magazine but the front cover my not do it justice.
Layout
Now the layout for this front cover is very interesting as to how it is set out. Obviously the image is a main viewing point but the way it is overlapping and also being overlapped by some parts of text shows that the image is just as important as the text. This cover is very centralised with pretty much all of the key text of images within the rule of thirds where the reader is most likely notice it.
I like that the key and most important elements are all near one another so all the reader needs to see is right in one place and I may use this to make my own magazine easier to appeal too.
This is the World War 1 poster of Lord
![]() |
Kitchener that has been referenced
in the article.

No comments:
Post a Comment